Are you aware of how easily life’s challenges can have a negative effect on your entire well-being? You’ve surely had an experience or two where rough times have come upon you, and at the end of the road, you feel like you’ve conquered the situation.
However, even though you were successful at handling the situation, there may be some very real side-effects that you overlook as “things that happen” in life.
Some of those very things may be signs of stress which, if left unattended, can lead to further challenges down the road.
Ask yourself if the following behaviors or states of mind have been prevalent at any stage of your life. If you’re able to identify with them, chances are that unrecognized stress is manifesting and it’s important to eliminate it right away.
Stress reduction methods like exercise and meditation can bring immense relief and restore your well-being.
How to Identify Physical and Mental Signs of Stress
Change in sleep habits.
Nobody knows your body better than you do. You know how much sleep you usually get on a good night, and if you find yourself sleeping either significantly more or less than normal, chances are you’re undergoing stress.
A change in sleep habits is a sure sign that something is keeping you in an unsettled state.
- Try to engage in relaxing activities at the end of each day that can help put you in the frame of mind for rest. Meditation, a soothing bath, and even laughter are good ideas.
- If your sleep issues persist, see your doctor for further guidance.
Frequent mood swings
Take a moment to think back over the last few days and how you handled each situation that confronted you. Did you handle everything in your usual calm, controlled, effective manner? If not, you may be dealing with stress issues.
- Frequent mood swings, especially if your mood has swung from frustration, anger and irritability to defensiveness, impatience and overreaction, are a clear indication that stress abides within you.
Other moods and states of mind to look out for include:
- Feeling depressed
- Helplessness with things you can normally accomplish on your own
- Irrationality in dealing with decision-making
- Restlessness and anxiety
When you start to show physical signs of nervous behavior, it’s likely a sign that something is secretly stressing you out. Here are some signs of nervous behavior which you may need to address in a way that identifies the cause.
- Excessive talkativeness
- Teeth grinding
- Nail biting
Indecisiveness and confusion
If you’re usually able to think things through with a clear head and now you can’t, it’s likely that you’re struggling with stress.
- Stress results in feeling out of control and overwhelmed, even with things that you can normally handle with confidence.
Ill health isn’t always about feeling aches and pains. The domino effect of stress can result in serious health challenges. For your own benefit, it’s important to pay attention to yourself and ensure you do whatever’s necessary to reduce your stress.